This blog is about science, pseudoscience, manipulation, magic, and outright lies

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Is it all a scam?

Leaving my local supermarket today I met two gentleman with shoulder bags and clipboards, one of them started to talk to me and since I passed him by (or the other man) a couple of weeks ago I felt I could at least stop and listen to what he had to say.
The mission was to collect money and the cause was democracy and human rights in Iran. A fair and noble goal for any organisation. The two men looked like they could be from Iran though looks can be deceiving so it is hard to say. They were against capital punishment and I was quickly shown pictures of executions. They were also for an Iranian Christian pastor that was threaten with death if he didn't convert to Islam, and they had a picture of him as well.
After this I was shown some official looking pieces of paper that I was told was some kind of permit from the police in Stockholm and one paper from the police in Uppsala. Exactly what the papers were saying I don't know because I was told to write my name, phone number and address on a list and tick a box for if I wanted to give 300, 500, 800, or 1000 Swedish crowns. The reason for wanting my signature he said was that they were a “90-konto” organisation.

For people that are not familiar with a “90-konto” it is a bank account that begin with the number 90. They are only used by organisations that can prove that the money they collect really goes to what they claim. The rules are quite strict and not every organisation is allowed a 90-konto. The idea is that the giver can be sure that they are not being scammed when they put money into an account of this type.

Now I don't know if political organisations that work for democracy in Iran are allowed a 90-konto, but I do know that usually the reason an organisation has 90-konto is because they want people to use that account not to use as a form of persuasion when they collect money in the streets. I also never heard of other organisations that need your signature when they do collect money in the streets. Even worse than that, I have never heard of an organisation that need a permit from the police to walk around and try to collect money.

Being a sceptic and having all these questions I started to ask a few other questions to try to figure out what it was about. The behaviour of the man was not one that inspired me to trust him. It was apparent that he was more concerned with getting me to sign the list and give him money than to talk to me. At least that was the impression I got, and when I wanted to put a few crowns in his collection box (one that he did show me on several occasions but didn't act like he wanted me to put anything in) he quickly terminated our conversation and didn't even let me put all the coins I had into the box.

The behaviour was suspicious but I did a search for approved organisations that do have a 90-konto and I did find the organisation that he claimed to represent:
http://www.iran-demokrati.se/
So at least that part was not a scam.

No comments: