This blog is about science, pseudoscience, manipulation, magic, and outright lies

Monday 10 March 2014

Welcome to COSMOS

Yesterday in the US there was something happening relating to the popularisation of science that hopefully will be as successful as it's predecessor. It was in 1980 that Carl Sagan was the guide to the COSMOS and now Neil deGrasse Tyson has taken over the helm of the spaceship of fantasy.


I have no idea if it will be shown on Swedish Television but these are my thoughts about the first episode. Neil is a great presenter, which he has proven earlier. Perhaps his best part was the homage to Carl Sagan at the end of the episode.
As in the original series the first episode was devoted to establishing both deep space and deep time. The cosmic calender is still there as in the original. In the new version they spend a lot of time on Giordano Bruno and his persecution by the catholic church. It is a very good illustration of how people throughout history have been persecuted even if they were correct.
Not that Bruno had any scientific evidence for his believes but I doubt he would have been treated any differently by the inquisition if he did. It is not even sure why Bruno was executed, it might have been for other reasons than his ideas about the universe. But what believes he died for is irrelevant since no one should have to die for what believes they hold true.
There was one thing that I didn't like with the story of Bruno, it was animated. I love animation but I most say I loved the re-enactments in the original version more. It will be interesting to see if they will continue with the animations throughout the series when they discuss past events.
It is true that in the original they had the library in Alexandria as a drawn background or perhaps created in a computer. But there were many actors involved in portraying famous scientists and I think that brought more of a feeling of “reality” to the series.
People that love the original, and I know a few that do, may also miss the music. What they have for the new series is not as “interesting” as the music by Vangelis.
I final thought is that the episodes appear to be a bit shorter than in the original, I don't know if that implies more episodes but I guess the reason is that they need to get the commercials to fit in.

No comments: