This blog is about science, pseudoscience, manipulation, magic, and outright lies

Monday 17 February 2014

What I think I said

Today I got a call from a journalist at Smålandsposten regarding the appearance of the proclaimed medium Terry Evans in a public school. There is no need for undue alarm since he is not ”performing” for the school children. The reason for the interview is that the municipality (not sure which one since there are a few in that region) rented out a public school for Evans to conduct his séance. Apparently some people objected, and I was asked to comment. This is what I remember that I said, not necessary what will be printed.

I am not in favour of schools being rented out to activities like a séance since I would put it in the same category as renting out a school to a dubious political party or a multi-level marketing event. In my mind schools as institutions of learning should be reserved for educational activities even after hours.

It is true that a séance is a bit like a piece of theatre. The only difference being that after the play is over the actor playing Hamlet doesn't claim to be the prince of Denmark. That is quite a fundamental difference and that is why a lot of mentalists and magicians do not approve of mediums.

Can we really be sure that it is theatre? No of course you can't prove that a person is not talking to the dead and that they talk back. What we do know is that a lot of people have the skill to do the same things as a medium does and without claiming any supernatural powers. The skill set is called cold reading. The burden of proof lies on the people claiming to have a connection with the other side and they have so far failed to do so.

No, I don't think it should be forbidden to have séances. The freedom of speech is much more important than that. But I think that the public deserve to be informed about the fact that there is no evidence supporting the claims of the mediums. And I don't think that a municipality should let organisers of séances rent schools for their shows. Even if something is not forbidden to say it doesn't imply that you have to aid in the distribution of the message.

I might come with an update to this story if I find out where and when the news story is printed and/or online.

No comments: