This blog is about science, pseudoscience, manipulation, magic, and outright lies

Wednesday 30 January 2013

What is the data telling us?

Yesterday I was dismayed by one of the Swedish tabloids, I have forgotten which one. It is not uncommon that I give a sigh when I see the tabloids but I frankly believe that to work as a journalist at one of those papers you must either be wilfully ignorant or just plain stupid.
The headline of the story was something like ”find out the IQ of the men living in your area”. The ”article” was apparently based on 10 years of data and it was not difficult to figure out that it was probably based on the IQ test that all men took at age 18-19 when Sweden had general conscription. Apart from the fact that there were probably more important things happening in the world on that day. It is also remarkable that who ever wrote it seemed to think that the data would be of any relevance today. As if people don't move after they turned 19.
I would also claim that not only do people move but where they move might actually be correlated to their IQ.

No comments: