This blog is about science, pseudoscience, manipulation, magic, and outright lies

Thursday 24 January 2013

Academia

I might have said it before, indeed I am sure that I have, but maybe not here in my blog.
”I love academia”
Today I was fortunate enough to attend a lecture where I learned loads of new stuff (new to me that is) about the Greek bronze age.
I am attending a course about ancient temples and cult places. For me it is basically because I want to learn more about the oracles during this time. But in the process I am picking up all kinds of interesting facts. Like that the word ”labyrinth” might be derived from the word for double axe ”labys”. The people at Knossos apparently liked carving double axes on the walls.
I also learned that the suffix ”-unda” or ”-anda” in Swedish, as found in names of places like Bergunda, have the meaning ”rich in”. So i.e. Bergunda is rich in ”berg”, have a lot of mountains. And I learned this because the same suffix was used 600 B.C. in present day Turkey.
As if that wasn't enough I had another course beginning yesterday about the scientific cultures of knowledge which is a course in the field of history of science and ideas. I think that course will be very interesting because we had a great discussion, not so much about what science is (which you talk about in philosophy) but how science and knowledge has been perceived throughout time and in different cultures.
It is so invigorating to meet new knowledge and new ideas. It is almost so that I forget how much more there is that I will never have time to learn in this life.

No comments: