This blog is about science, pseudoscience, manipulation, magic, and outright lies

Monday 26 May 2008

A close encounter

Although I am very interested in the phenomenon that is called New Age I have unfortunately not met that many people who can be said to have this belief, or type of believes. New Age is not new nor one belief; it is a goody bag of ideas some of great antiquity and others from today although they might claim to be from tomorrow. Recently though I had a close encounter with some very nice New Age people.

New Age is old news so I will not talk much about it. Confronted with some of the teachings the questions that are raised can be both scientific and theological. I overheard statements about energy lines, alternative medicine, and the god within oneself when I eavesdropped on the blonde angel-like guru. I would not have mind to learn more about her message and her theology than the few minutes I had together with her allowed.

What I will write about is my own experience of meeting the enthusiastic people that organised what they termed a lecture and a course though I would rather label it a religious service.

I am no enemy of religion unlike some sceptics and rational thinkers. Indeed I am religious myself in case someone like to know. It is interesting to think about religion and not just dismiss it because it has no foundation in science. Even if there are no gods people have religious convictions, feelings, and traditions, that is a fact.

The people I met really felt their religion; that was the impression I got. They wanted to feel the energy, the peace of mind, the oneness with the universe. The focus was very much on feeling perhaps to the deterioration of reflective thought. This flight from asking questions is not unique to New Age but if one is to accept everything it is perhaps a prerequisite that not too many questions are asked.

Without contradicting myself I have to say that a lot of questions were asked and the “guru” Anette Carlström answered them all. But they were practical questions and not critical questions. No one seemed concerned with the critical questions about truth or epistemology and if there was any discussion about the consequences of the theological message I did not hear it.

Not asking critical questions is not being stupid. The people I met were all very pleasant to be around and I do not get along well with stupid people. They were all very good people, open and friendly, I am grateful I had the opportunity to meet them.

Sceptics are sometimes unnecessarily condescending toward New Age believers. We are all living on the same planet (at least most of the time) and we try to live our lives the best we can. If we are open and ask questions we might understand each other better.
That goes for more traditionally religious people as well, just remember that understanding someone is not the same as agreeing with them.

How did I meet these people? They had rented space in the church I belong to and it was my turn to act as a host that day.

No comments: